June 9, 2009

"Divung Prohibited"

I saw this sign at a swimming pool here in Beersheva. Since I didn't know what divung was, I had to assume that it probably wasn't related to the word diving with which we are all familiar. So I dove in. 

For English speakers living in Israel, this is a recurring part of our life: English words misspelled in the public eye. From street signs to menus, brochures to government literature. Nothing is spared. And I am completely torn as to which emotion overcomes me most when I see these mishaps: Depression or sheer ecstasy. 

You see, on the one hand these signs confirm my lack of faith in humanity. How are people so recklessly incompetent that they are unwilling or unable to spellcheck words which will be in public view for the forseeable future? Have they no shame?  
 
But they also never fail to make me laugh. Most decent comedy films won't get the smile out of me that one poorly translated sign can. Want to fall off your chair? Check out these pictures. Hence the ecstasy.

Man, we need a linguistic police department. 

Until that day, I will continue documenting this tragic-comedy right here on my blog. I'll try to find more funny translations and report on them. Hopefully with pictures too.

No comments: