October 1, 2009

Philanthropy 2.0

Philanthropy is changing quickly. Organizations have to do more with less. Social media is changing everything. Donors are more particular about who they give to.

So how can nonprofits keep up?

Well, BBMG did some solid research and published a white paper which summarizes these changes and addresses what you can do to stay in the game. Their findings struck a chord with me so I thought I'd share a few of the main ideas with you:

Americans are re-evaluating what truly matters in their lives and seeking brands that deliver both value and values. Specifically, consumers are looking for brands that offer personal relevance, social purpose and meaningful participation.

1) Practical Benefits: How does this brand improve my life?

2) Social Benefits: How does this brand help me make a difference in the world?

3) Tribal Benefits: How does this brand connect me to a community that shares my values?

In this age of radical transparency, nonprofit organizations must show how they live their values in every action and interaction. By engaging the new consumer, yesterday’s nonprofit brands can move from legacy to leadership and become tomorrow’s passion brands. Demonstrating personal relevance, driving social impact and mobilizing a community of true believers ensures that consumers share in the conversation, help spark innovation and change the world.

You can check out the rest of their findings here.

Thanks ejewishphilanthropy for bringing this research to my attention.

No comments: